Let’s face it, sometimes we spend way too much time on social media. Social media platforms themselves are necessarily a bad thing, but spending countless hours mindlessly scrolling through feeds or playing online games can become a serious problem. Occasionally, you just have to know when enough is enough, so if you are looking to cancel your Facebook account, use the following steps.
What You’ll Need
- Email used for Facebook login
- Password used for Facebook login
How to Deactivate Your Facebook Account
Sometimes you just need a little break from social media and you’re not looking to permanently delete your account. If you simply want to deactivate your Facebook account for a while, here is what you need to do:
- Click the top right of any given Facebook Page
- Choose “Settings”
- Click “Security” in the left column
- Choose “Manage Your Account” and then scroll down to “Deactivate Your Account”
While your account is in deactivation mode, your friends will not be able to access your profile, but you can still utilize Facebook Messenger and other people can still search for you.
How to Permanently Delete Your Facebook Account
If you are looking for a fresh start and would like to completely delete your Facebook Account, follow these steps:
- Log in to your account
- Go to Facebook’s Delete my Account page here: https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account
- Click “Delete My Account”
- Re-enter your Password
- Type in the correct captcha code and select “OK”
- Select “OK” again when prompted by the Facebook message
Deleting your Facebook account permanently can be a freeing feeling, but because all of your information will be gone forever, make sure you back up all of your photos. Several people lose years of precious memories because they use their Facebook account as photo storage and then forget to back up these photos elsewhere before deleting their account permanently. Don’t let this be you!